Check back here after May half term to 'Meet the teacher' for September 2023 and further transition information
Transition Information Page
Change is a normal part of life and can provide opportunities for children to develop their resilience. Whether a child is starting primary school, changing schools, or moving from infants to juniors or primary to secondary school, this transition period needs to be carefully managed. If a child struggles with a transition it can have a negative impact on their wellbeing and academic achievement.
(Anna Freud - National Centre for Children and Families)
At Coxhoe Primary we understand the importance of managing transition points carefully for each of our children. Some of our children cope extremely well with change and for others it is a huge struggle. We are constantly reviewing our practice and we welcome further suggestions of how we can further develop our transition programme. Below is an outline of the types of things we offer at different times of the year. This has been adapted over the last two years to reflect the current government guidelines. We hope you find this page helpful.
How do we support transition?
- Our EYFS team complete nursery or home visits to all new starters
- Getting ready for school meeting at nursery and school
- Teddy Bear's picnic - children visit school with their parents
- Trial school lunch
- New starter open evenings for parents and children
- Staggered start in September
- Some secondary schools have transition workers who come and work with Y6 throughout the year
- Transition visit days to new secondary schools in June/July
- Extra support for those pupils who struggle with transition through personalised passports
- Extra transition visits for those pupils who struggle with change
For Whole School:
- Whole school transition week
- Story time with new class and teacher every week for the last 3 weeks of term
- Transition planners for those pupils who struggle with change (includes extra visits, working in new classroom, passport, working with new TA, extra story time in new class)
- For identified pupils with SEND some summer holiday half day parent supported school visits
Top ten tips for parents to support with transition:
Resources to support with transition: